Courtesy of Mushrooms Canada
These Mushroom Meatball Subs are a hearty blend of finely chopped Ontario mushrooms and ground beef gives this quick, weekday meal an extra serving of hidden veggies. Topped with marinara, bocconcini cheese and then broiled, this recipe will be a hit with the kids.
Mushroom Meatball SubsPrint Recipe
- 1 package (227 g) sliced Ontario white button mushrooms,
- finely chopped
- 1 lb/500g lean ground Ontario Corn Fed Beef
- ½ cup (60 mL) seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 large Ontario egg
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove Ontario garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh Ontario parsley, chopped
- 1 (650 mL) jar of marinara
- 5 white sub rolls
- 15 bocconcini medallions
Pre-heat oven to 400°F/200°C. Spray shallow baking dish with non-stick spray.
Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
In a large bowl combine chopped mushrooms, beef, breadcrumbs, egg, shallot, garlic and parsley; mix until incorporated. Shape mixture into 1½ inch meatballs. Place 1 inch apart in dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove baking dish and pour marinara over meatballs. Return to oven for 15 minutes.
Assemble subs by spooning 5 meatballs onto sub roll. Top with warm marinara and three bocconcini medallions. Place subs on baking tray and broil on high until cheese is melted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.