Courtesy of Ontario Commercial Fisheries’ Association
This Ontario fresh water fish is pan-fried to perfection in butter and a sprinkle of salt. Serve with garlicy roasted veggies for a quick summer meal.
Pan-Fried Pickerel Over Roasted Summer VeggiesPrint Recipe
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small head Ontario cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 pint Ontario cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb (500g) Ontario asparagus, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Ontario butter
- 2 lb (1 kg) filleted Ontario pickerel
- Garnish: fresh Ontario parsley, squeeze of lemon
Pre-heat oven to 300°F/150°C.
To a large bowl add olive oil, garlic, cauliflower, tomatoes and asparagus. Toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange vegetables on a parchment lined baking tray. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut pickerel into six equal sized pieces. Rub fillets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add butter to coat pan. Gently place fish into hot butter; cook 3-5 minutes on either side.
Plate roasted veggies and top with a pickerel fillet.Garnish with parsley and a squeeze of lemon.