This simple family supper is perfect for mid-week – it has few ingredients to prepare, pulls together quickly and offers a warming, nutritious meal even kids will love. Prepare steamed rice on the side while the chicken cooks.
Saucy Chicken Apple SautéPrint Recipe
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL ) minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (500 g ) boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL ) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili oil (optional)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 Ontario Apples*, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) rice or cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) corn starch
In large heavy-bottomed skillet or wok, heat oil over medium high heat. Stir in ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant but not browned. Stir in chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and transfer to plate.
In same skillet, add chili oil. Cook onion and celery over high heat, stirring constantly, until onion is golden and softened, about 3 minutes. Add in apples, broth, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring just to boil; stir in chicken and cook 2 minutes.
In small bowl, whisk together corn starch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Stir into sauce and let thicken slightly. Serve immediately over steamed rice.
*Variety tip: For best results use Ontario Golden Delicious, Empire or Cortland apples.