Ontario white pea beans are the star of this crowd-pleasing pizza. Don’t forget to drain and rinse your beans before use.
White Bean & Vegetable PizzasPrint Recipe
- 4 individual-size pizza shells
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems picked off
- 1 cup white pea beans, soaked and cooked or canned in water: drained and rinsed
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add chopped leeks and sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and continue to sauté slowly for 5 more minutes. Do not brown.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Turn heat to high and add spinach to pan. Cover and cook spinach just until it wilts (about 1 minute). Remove spinach from pan and rinse in cold water. Gently squeeze leaves to remove excess water. Set aside.
Brush pizza shells with 2 tbsp olive oil. Spread one-quarter of the mozzarella cheese evenly over each pizza shell. Next, layer spinach leaves over the mozzarella cheese and top with white beans and sun-dried tomatoes. Finally, layer the leek and garlic mixture and sprinkle each pizza with Parmesan cheese, chives and oregano. Bake approximately 10 minutes.
Courtesy of Ontario Bean Growers
Ontario Bean Growers is a not for profit organization that represents the interests of farmers in Ontario that grow dry edible beans. The farmer members of Ontario Bean Growers produce fifteen different types of dry edible beans on an average of 130,000 acres annually.